Spiced Toffee Apple Cupcakes. Apple spiced cupcakes with fresh apple pieces topped with a delicious caramel buttercream! These apple spice cupcakes are incredibly moist like banana bread, soft and fluffy like a muffin, rich and decadent like chocolate cake. Apples and caramel are a classic fall flavor combination and I baked today's cupcakes as an excuse to make salted caramel frosting.
Ingredients of Spiced Toffee Apple Cupcakes
- Prepare 200 g of dates, roughly chopped.
- You need 250 g of butter, softened, plus extra for greasing.
- You need 200 ml of milk, plus a splash.
- You need 280 g of self-raising flour.
- You need 200 g of light soft brown sugar.
- You need 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of mixed spice.
- It’s 4 of large eggs.
- It’s 2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- It’s 3 of small red apple.
- Prepare squeeze of lemon juice.
- It’s handful of toffees.
- You need of little icing sugar, for dusting.
Quickly beat together the cake ingredients with an electric whisk until smooth, then scrape into the baking tray. Enjoy them together in these incredibly moist Spiced Apple Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting that is simply heavenly. Apples Christmas Thanksgiving Halloween Dessert Bake Sale Potluck Buttermilk Cakes Cupcakes Holidays Fall Winter Cocktail Party Easy. This autumn, why not make this Bonfire Night-inspired cake?
Spiced Toffee Apple Cupcakes step by step
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line cupcake tray with cases, I used 15 however it will be dependent on the size you are using. (If making a cake, grease and line a 20 x 30cm baking tray with baking parchment.).
- Put the dates and milk in a small pan and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and set aside for 15 mins to cool..
- Whizz the date mixture to a smooth purée in a food processor or blender, then scrape into a large mixing bowl. Tip in the butter, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, eggs, mixed spice and vanilla, and set aside while you prepare the apples..
- Quarter and core the apples, then slice quite thinly, tossing in a little lemon juice as you go..
- Quickly beat together the cake ingredients with an electric whisk until smooth, then scrape into the cases (or tray for the cake).
- Arrange the apple slices, for cupcakes, two to three per cupcake. (For the cake: overlap the apple in rows, on top – you should be able to get 3 rows lengthways down the tray.).
- Bake for 20-30 mins until a skewer poked into the centre of one of the cupcake comes out clean. Cool in the tray. (If baking as one cake it will require at least 50-60mins).
- Put the toffees in a small pan with a good splash of milk and gently melt, stirring, until runny. To finish, dust with a little icing sugar, then drizzle sauce over the cakes..
A great twist on traditional toffee apples, enjoy with a cuppa, or warm with cream and extra toffee sauce – yummy! Fluffy and moist cupcakes full of apple cinnamon flavor and topped with the perfect toffee frosting. Most cupcakes I've made over the past few years have been pretty typical: vanilla, chocolate, peanut butter, coffee, etc. Toffee Apple Pound Cake bursting with sweet toffee bits and cinnamon apples all smothered in the most lick-the-plate-delicious Spiced Caramel Sauce. Everyone will go crazy over this cake!