Red Velvet Cupcakes. Fluffy and moist, these buttery red velvet cupcakes are my favorite. The tangy cream cheese frosting puts them over the top! Over the past year, the most requested recipe on my blog is… red velvet.
Ingredients of Red Velvet Cupcakes
- You need 1 1/4 cup of sifted cake flour.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of regular or Dutch-processed cocoa powder.
- It’s 1/4 cup of unsalted butter at room temperature.
- You need 3/4 cup of granulated white sugar.
- You need 1 large of egg.
- You need 1/2 tsp of pure vanilla extract.
- It’s 1/2 cup of buttermilk (or add 1/2 tbsp of white/cider vinegar or lemon juice to 1/2 a cup of milk and let stand 5-10 minutes).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of liquid red food coloring.
- You need 1/2 tsp of white distilled vinegar.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of baking soda.
All of the tips and tricks for making perfect red velvet cupcakes every single time! It's Christmas Eve and I am trying to sneak in one last. Top these classic red velvet cupcakes with a tangy cream cheese frosting and serve them at your next birthday party or backyard potluck. Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe & Video.
Red Velvet Cupcakes step by step
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C) and line muffin tins with paper cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder.
- With an electric or with a hand mixer, beat the butter till soft (about1-2 minutes). Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add the egg and beat until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add vanilla extract and beat until combined..
- In a measuring cup whisk the buttermilk with the red food coloring. With the mixer on low speed, alternatively add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour..
- In a small cup combine the vinegar and baking soda. Allow the mixture to fizz and then quickly fold into the cake batter..
- Working quickly, divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups and smooth the tops with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 18-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean..
- Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then remove from pan. Let cool completely before frosting, if desired..
- Makes 12 cupcakes..
Everyone seems to enjoy Red Velvet Cupcakes covered with lovely swirls of Cream Cheese Frosting. Red velvet cake is traditionally a red, red-brown, crimson or scarlet-colored chocolate layer cake, layered with ermine icing. Traditional recipes do not use food coloring, with the red color due to non-Dutched, anthocyanin-rich cocoa. What you'll need to make Red Velvet Cupcakes. You should know right off the bat that these cupcakes are made with a lot of food coloring.