Chocolate Cupcakes w/ Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. Vanilla buttercream is my first choice- I love sweet, creamy vanilla with chocolate cupcakes and sprinkles. Kids love these as birthday treats, too. If you want to take it a step further, try swirled frosting instead!
Ingredients of Chocolate Cupcakes w/ Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Prepare 3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder.
- It’s 3/4 cup of flour.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of butter/margarine.
- You need 1 cup of sugar.
- Prepare 3 of eggs.
- It’s 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- You need 1/2 cup of sour cream.
- It’s of frosting:.
- Prepare 2 cups of powdered sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of margarine.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of milk.
So simple, but so delicious and a total classic! A real buttercream frosting takes little time to make, can be tinted with food coloring (use paste or gel, not liquid food color), and will hold up to one week if tightly covered and refrigerated. Use a real vanilla; imitations are not recommended. If you can find a vanilla bean paste it's well worth the investment.
Chocolate Cupcakes w/ Vanilla Buttercream Frosting instructions
- Sift and set aside the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt..
- Mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add and beat in eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla. Gradually add and mix the flour mixture, alternating with sour cream, and ending with flour..
- Fill up 3/4 of each baking cup with the batter. Bake for approx. 20 minutes at 350°F..
- FROSTING: mix butter until smooth, beat in powdered sugar, then vanilla and milk..
- Pipe the buttercream frosting onto the cupcakes. Add strawberries and coconut on top for decoration and extra flavor 🙃(optional)..
How is it that I've never shared a chocolate cupcake recipe with chocolate buttercream frosting before?? Okay, I've shared lots of chocolate cupcakes with different kinds of frosting, but who doesn't love this classic combination — chocolate. I use this frosting on vanilla cupcakes, chocolate cupcakes, funfetti birthday cupcakes, in cake truffles and cake pops, and even as a filling in my homemade Oreo cookies. It isn't cloyingly sweet, and vanilla is by far the most prominent flavor. How to Make Vanilla Buttercream Frosting.